Easy Fall Table Decorating Ideas Using Rustic Decor to create a cozy and festive feel for your holiday or everyday fall dining.
Whether you prefer a Neutral Fall Tablescape or a Colorful Fall Tablescape, this rustic and plaid tablescape theme combines a little of both to bring in those pretty autumn colors and natural elements to your table.
Step 1: Planning a rustic tablescape
What to choose:
- Wood or metal with distressed, weathered, or hammered finish
- Greenery and natural elements like pine cones, sprigs, and acorns
- Flannel or velvet textiles that provide a pop of color, texture, and complement the rustic elements
- Candles, either neutral or a pop of color
Step 2: Choose your focal point
- Start with a centerpiece or runner.
- Plan the rest of your table around it.
For this tablescape, the flannel plaid runner was my starter, or focal point. I used a yard and a half of fabric from Hobby Lobby – they have a few plaid options, and seasonal fabric is often on sale so it can be cheaper than buying a regular runner or tablecloth.
It’s also nice to be able to size it accordingly so it’s not too wide or too thin depending on your table size.
Step 3: Build the tablescape
- Finalize your centerpiece
- Add candles
- Layer place settings
These galvanized metal cake stands added some height to the centerpiece, but not too much height so guests can’t see each other.
Because my plaid runner was pretty bold, I used natural pumpkins, pine cones and sprigs inside the stands so it didn’t compete with the plaid. The velvet pumpkins complement the flannel runner and added another texture.
The basic natural elements, velvet, and flannel help create the that fall cozy feel.
Candles are a must! I always integrate them in the middle or at the end of my tablescape building so I know where they fit best. Because I used three cake stands and it was a little crowded, I put them inside the stands.
A layered setting adds more visual interest so sometimes I use both a placemat and a charger. The natural placemat tied in with the placemats and the charger matched the cake stands.
I always use basic white plates and then add some flair with the salad plates, napkins or place cards. The salad (or appetizer or dessert) plates with metallic gold “grateful”, “thankful” and “blessed” text added a subtle fall flair with leaves and acorns.
And if you don’t want to splurge/store more plates, you can always add some flair with paper plates.
I will be sharing more fall tablescape ideas for a Simple Fall Tablescape Series every Tuesday and Thursday in the coming weeks! Happy Fall!
Shop This Tablescape:
- White Nantucket Dinner Plates – World Market
- “Grateful” + “Thankful” + “Blessed” Salad Plates – Hobby Lobby
- Gold Stemless Wine Glasses – World Market
- Gold Flatware – World Market
- Galvanized Metal Chargers – Hobby Lobby
- Placemats – IKEA
- White Napkins – Home Goods
- Flannel Plaid Fabric (runner) – Hobby Lobby (in store)
- Galvanized Metal Cake Stands – Hobby Lobby (in store)
- Pumpkin – Crate and Barrel (vintage, but there is a similar one on Amazon)
- Sprigs and Pinecones Filler – Hobby Lobby (in store)
- Velvet Pumpkins – Hobby Lobby (in store)
- Candle Holders – IKEA
This post contains some affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you purchase any of the products, but all opinions are my own.